Located in Plymouth, MI, the name The Brass Button is a literary nod to Bilbo Baggins’ lost button (The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkein, 1937). Sometimes things that are lost can be found — in Grandma’s attic, in the basement, or along the side of the road. These treasures can be made new; hence, The Brass Button.
Perhaps you have a piece that is the perfect size and shape for your space, but it’s saggy, shabby, or out of style? Maybe your cat loves your chair as much as you do? Perhaps you’ve inherited a piece and you want to update it? Maybe you’ve redesigned your room and that comfy old chair doesn’t work anymore, but you wish it did. We can help. This is The Brass Button.
Click an image below to access the gallery.
When we re-upholster we strip your piece down to the frame. New upholstery gives you a brand new piece built on your existing furniture frame. Upholstery includes new foundation, inspection and replacement of springs as needed, inspection of frame, minor frame repair as needed, all padding, foam, cushions, and pillows. We do not recover furniture. We completely reupholster, using new components.
Some of our projects are pictured below.
Click an image below to enlarge and access the gallery.
Are your cushions flat while your fabric is in great shape? It may be time to refill or replace your cushions. We also offer custom pillows.
A Word About upholstery
I’m often asked if a piece is “worth” upholstering. Let’s be honest, not every piece is. Often vintage and fine furniture pieces are built on hardwood frames with dovetailed joints. These frames tend to hold up for many decades, even hundreds of years. Hardwood frames can be reupholstered multiple times. Inexpensive pieces purchased from a big box store may be built on softwood or particle board frames. These are less likely to hold up over time.
When we reupholster, we’re not just recovering a piece. We’re rebuilding it from the frame up. If it’s a heritage piece, a family heirloom, an unusual piece, or you just want to keep that old heavy sofa out of the landfill, it’s worth a conversation.
I recently retired from 36 years as a proud educator serving as both teacher and principal. I came to upholstery from a lifetime of home sewing. Over 12 years ago I reupholstered a chair. That led to classes, on going training, lots of tools, the creation of a designated workshop, and more and more pieces. I upholstered and slipcovered not only my furniture, but my kids’ furniture, my friends’ and neighbors’ furniture, and eventually I took on clients’ pieces.The Brass Button was born! I’m enjoying it immensely!
Terms and Conditions
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
- A 50% deposit, or purchase of fabric through The Brass Button Custom Upholstery is required to hold Client’s place in the service queue.
- Clients will be informed of an estimated time of service and added to the service queue when deposit or fabric order is received. (e.g. Your estimated service is July of 2023.) Clients will be contacted one month before their estimated time of service, and again two weeks in advance so that appropriate arrangements can be made to move furniture. Clients who miss their service window will be added to the end of the service queue and given a new estimated time of service.
- Unless otherwise expressly stated, the estimated date of completion ranges from 4 – 6 weeks. The estimated date of completion is the approximate date the order is expected to be completed and is subject to change. The client will be updated as to progress and changes in expected date of completion.
- The Brass Button Custom Upholstery does not provide pick up and delivery services. The Brass Button may be able to assist with making these arrangements outside of our contracted services.
- The Brass Button Custom Upholstery is not responsible for any flaws or imperfections in wood, furniture construction, or framing as a result of previous wear and tear, or as a result of previous refinishing or upholstery.
- Estimates assume minor repairs may be needed. The need for repairs cannot be fully anticipated until a full visual assessment of structures including frame, joints, springs, webbing, foam, fills, and support systems is possible. A thorough visual assessment requires opening and fully exposing these systems.
- Repairs may result in an extended service time.
- Significant or extensive repairs may require referral to an outside furniture restoration service which will result in an additional fee contracted directly with the service provider. This will be discussed at the time of assessment.
- The Brass Button Custom Upholstery is not responsible for workmanship of referrals to services outside of The Brass Button Custom Upholstery (e.g. extensive repairs requiring more than simple carpentry may be referred for complete restoration). Client will be consulted in advance.
- The Brass Button Custom Upholstery does not provide furniture refinishing services including stripping, staining, painting, or modifying furniture. We can refer clients to businesses that provide these services. If stripping, refinishing, painting, or modifying is needed this is to be completed prior to upholstery services from The Brass Button Custom Upholstery.
- The Brass Button Custom Upholstery is not responsible for damages incurred upon delivery from furniture or fabric vendors purchased directly by the customer or a designer.
- Rush service is not available.
- The Brass Button Custom Upholstery is not responsible for any imperfections that may occur when Client’s Own Material (COM) is provided.
- The Brass Button Custom Upholstery is not responsible for imperfections that may occur in leather hides, natural linens, velvets, and organic fabric that are a direct result of manufacturing, shipping, or natural occurrences.
- The only warranties and guarantees provided by The Brass Button Custom Upholstery with respect to any materials purchased by the customer are those conditions, warranties, and/or guarantees expressly set out herein.
- The Brass Button Custom Upholstery is not responsible for: (a) fabric, vinyl, or leather shrinkage, deteriorating or staining due to any cleaning process or coating application (b) fading for any reason including sunlight exposure or wear (c) foam exhaustion, because usage varies on a case by case basis, (d) sagging, stretching, or misfit that may occur when customer chooses to keep existing foam.
- The Brass Button Custom Upholstery strongly advises replacing all foams and fills at the time of service.
- The Brass Button Custom Upholstery is not responsible for dye variations between sample swatches and received fabric merchandise; however, fabric purchased through The Brass Button Custom Upholstery will be examined for flaws and color match before cutting.
- Cost increases in materials used by The Brass Button Custom Upholstery may result in additional fees or cost increases to clients at any time, including where appropriate for relevant import tariffs, transport, duties, and other costs. Clients will be informed.
- The Brass Button Custom Upholstery disclaims all conditions, warranties, and guarantees that are not expressly set forth herein and any implied conditions, warranties, and/or guarantees under applicable legislation.
- All clerical errors contained in this contract are subject to correction.
- All work shall be picked up within one week of completion.
- All final payments are due prior to or at the time of delivery via check or Square Space payment. Invoices will be sent via email.
- Clients acknowledge their acceptance of work and quality by signing this contract at the time of delivery.
Denise Bryan, Upholsterer
Please note: I do not answer the phone during the work day as it takes my attention away from current projects. Please either leave a message, or make your initial contact via email. I will respond shortly!